Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Traveling is an adventure, and always requires energy whether you’re hiking Machu Picchu or simply relaxing on the beach. Traveling also typically involves indulging in food and drink that you normally wouldn’t on a daily basis. This can require more energy spent digesting food, and less energy spent to fuel your vacation days. So we’re here to help, and give you a few off the beaten path recommendations on how to fuel your body and get energized while traveling, which includes more restful sleep as well – who doesn’t want that?
1. Chaga Mushroom – Chaga is considered the “King” of medicinal mushrooms, and is our main companion while traveling for it’s anti-inflammatory benefits and boost to the immune system. Especially when flying, parts of the body can become inflamed, and Chaga, packed with many antioxidants, can help combat that inflammation and help with joint function as well.
2. Reishi Mushroom – Reishi, the “Queen” of medicinal mushrooms, is by far the most studied herb. Amongst many others, one of Reishi’s main benefits is its ability to lower cortisol (stress) levels, and promote relaxation. Reishi can also help improve your deep, slow wave sleep patterns, so you wake up feeling more rested.
3. Cacao – Other than enhancing your mood and your libido, cacao is great for a natural energy boost. And yes, we’re talking about cacao as in chocolate! Cacao differs from cocoa, as it is still in its raw form and uncooked. Cacao contains Theobromine, which is a mild stimulant. It also helps the body to release endorphins, to give you that happy feeling.
4. Chlorella – We all have those moments during travel where we eat way too much, or we may be overindulged in one too many adult beverages. The solution – Chlorella! We’re not claiming it’s a hangover cure, however, it can help to cleanse and detoxify your liver while also providing the body with protein and essential fatty acids.
5. B Vitamins – B-12 specifically, is crucial for your body’s energy production, so you don’t want to go without this one! It helps to produce red blood cells carrying oxygen throughout your body, and supports metabolic function. B12 can be found in many animal products, so be sure to get your fill of (organic, grass-fed) meat, eggs and wild-caught fish. Vegetarians and vegans can find B12 in sea vegetable and nutritional yeast. You can also purchase a B12 supplement.
6. Iodine – Iodine is a super important mineral that supports the thyroid, which is the gland that controls how our body uses energy and is excellent to keep you energized while traveling. Being iodine deficient can lead to low energy levels and potential autoimmune disorders down the road, so it’s important to maintain a healthy level of iodine within the body. This doesn’t mean you have to take an iodine supplement either – just simply increase your intake of sea veggies (and not iodized salt.)
7. Salt – We all know that too much salt can lead to bloating and high blood pressure, but the right amount of good salt can be a game changer when it comes to your body. Himalayan pink salt for one, can provide the body with macrominerals, electrolytes and trace minerals like magnesium, iron and potassium. It can also help you to avoid dehydration, which is especially important if you are traveling in a warm climate.
So whether you’re daydreaming at your desk, or embarking on your next adventure tomorrow, we recommend you keep these healthy and natural energy boosters in mind to soak up as much of your trip as possible. And you can do this all while getting your chocolate fix!
Four Sigmatic | February 1, 2017
Four Sigmatic is a superfood company founded by a group of Finnish friends. It is based on their belief that health can be vastly improved through simple dietary tweaks. The easiest way to do this? Mushrooms, the most scientifically studied and proven superfood. Four Sigmatic wants to popularize medicinal mushrooms by incorporating them in popular products like coffee and hot cocoa. Four Sigmatic was founded in 2012; its products launched in the U.S. in 2015.