10 Tips to Take a Trip Around the World
1. Where do you want to go? Airtreks.com and statravel.com have round the world airline tickets (rtw) that offer a choice at least 6 different routes for a trip around the world. They can customize it from a choice of at least 80 cities. You could also buy a rtw ticket from an airline alliance for as low as $3,000, e.g. oneworld.com or the cheapest way is just dyi – buy a one-way airline ticket from home and from each subsequent place that you visit.
2. Calculate how much money you will need and start a plan on how to amass it or if you have the money already, create a travel spending plan. Rtw travel is not nearly as expensive as most think especially if you spend most of your time in places that are inexpensive and where the dollar is strong.
3. Decide on how much time you want to allot for your trip – shoot for a minimum of 6 months.
4. Join a hospitality exchange/couch surfing club. Lodging is one of the most expensive expenditures during travel and if you can lodge for free why not try it.
5. Decide if you want to go alone or have a travel companion. Another option, is to have people meet you at different places along the way to share all or part of a destination/region.
6. Research the places you will be traveling by reading guidebooks, websites and by talking to people who have lived or traveled there. Check the State Department travel advisory for each destination. Join a travel club or meet up group to get tips and inspiration from other seasoned travelers on how they took their trip around the world.
Our #7 Tip to take a Trip Around the World
7. Make sure all of your paperwork/travel preparation are in order, passport, visas, travel insurance, credit/atm cards, medicine/prescriptions, int’l cellphone plan, kindle/reading material/toys and immunization/cards.
8. Decide how to manage the Homefront while you are gone and when you return. Will you have a friend manage your finances? put all bills on autopay? rent out your house/apt? Let go of your apt and put everything in storage? Who will take care of your car? Your dog/cat/yard? Do you have an emergency plan if perchance something goes very wrong?
9. Buy the perfect suitcase/backpack and create a 3-climate packing plan. Remember you can buy, give away and mail back things as you take your trip around the world.
10. Get yourself physically fit and strong because a trip around the world is not for the faint of heart.
Round the world travel is a magnificent and magical experience. Since we only get one time on this precious planet, why not see as much of it as you can. Why not sample and savor the wonders of the world and while you are at it, leave a trail of molecules in your wake to wrap around the earth and embrace it.
For more information on how to create and sustain a trip around the world:
Visit Ugogurl.com – Travel Preparations and bootsnall.com/rtw/
Read “The Practical Nomad: How to Travel Around the World by Edward Hasbrouck
Elaine Lee, UGoGurl.com | January 9, 2017
Elaine Lee is a globetrotter and travel journalist. She is the editor of “Go Girl: The Black Woman’s Book of Travel and Adventure”.She has visited 59 countries and made two solo trips around the world. She lives in the San Francisco area and her cyberhome is www.ugogurl.com